Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Subway Staredowns

It's interesting being part of a visible minority - I get stared at pretty much every day.  By older people for the most part - I guess they must be less accustomed to seeing foreigners about.  I take the subway to work every day and evidently I'm somewhat conspicuous, because I seriously catch someone gaping at me every time.  I usually don't get a seat and so I often end up standing right in front of the people who are sitting so that I can hang onto one of the hand grips that hang above them.  The other day I was standing there minding my own business and I glanced down to discover this elderly Korean man staring straight up at me.  I met his piercing gaze with a frank one of my own and he continued to stare unabashedly.  So I just stood there and tried to act naturally for the duration of the ride despite having this gimlet-eyed stranger a mere two feet in front of me.  Quite amusing, and just a little disconcerting. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh...I know EXACTALY what you mean. This happens to me every day on the bus!

    ReplyDelete